Before you start playing a game of roulette, you should first understand what kinds of bets you can make so you can form a better betting strategy that can help minimise your losses. In other words, by learning each of them completely, you can be able to make informed decisions with your money. Take the first step to becoming roulette expert when you learn more about 2 different kinds of roulette bets below:
If you’re just a starting player, or if your budget’s a little tight, placing a wager on Outside bets is the perfect choice you should take.
Known for its higher winning outcome percentage (48.65% for the European variant, and 47.37% for the American variant), but lower earnings (usually a 1:1 payout), the Outside bet is an ideal and safe choice that a lot of bettors use when starting a game.
The reason is you’re not choosing a specific number to bet on. Instead, what you’re going to wager on is a set of numbers that’s either odd or even, red or black, 1-18 or 19-36.
Here are some of the most common types of outside bets in roulette:
- Column bet – The Column bet uses all 12 numbers in the column of the layout. The square for this bet is found on the farthest end of the layout, right on the opposite side of the field where you can find the ‘0’ or ‘00’ layout. There are three squares per layout.
In this bet, ‘0’ is not included in this bet type, so when the white ball falls on the ‘0’ or ‘00’ sector of the wheel and becomes the winning number, this would be considered a losing bet. All three boxes are labelled “2-1”. Column bets have a payout of 2 to 1.
- Dozen bet – This bet allows you to choose from the three sets of 12 numbers on the layout. Usually, these are found on the left of the number layout in three boxes that are marked as:
- ‘1st 12’ – Choose this box if you feel that the winning bet is from 1 – 12
- ‘2nd 12’ – This is the ideal box if you want to choose numbers 13 to 24
- ‘3rd 12’ – Pick this box if you’re going for a number between 25 through 36.
This bet works by you placing a bet on one of the three boxes that cover numbers in dozens.
If you want to, you may place bets on two out of three dozens. If the winning number is either ‘0’ or ‘00’, this would be considered as a losing bet. Winning Dozen bets have a payout of 2 to 1.
- Colour bet – This strategy lets you wager on all numbers of a specific colour. These bets are found on the left side of the layout under the ‘2nd 12’ Dozen bet box and are marked with either a red or a black diamond or simply the words ‘Red’ and ‘Black’ written on a red and black square.
You may only bet on one of the colours! To reiterate, if the winning number is ‘0’ or ‘00’, you would lose your bet. Colour bets have a payout of 1:1
If you feel like you’re going to win big today, or you’ve made more than enough money that you can spend, then you deserve to treat yourself with the excitement of an Inside bet!
Known for its lower winning outcome percentages, but high payouts, the Inside bet is an exciting choice for risk-takers when playing and has a larger bankroll.
This is the more difficult kind of bet out of the two because you would be betting on a specific number or number patterns from 1 to 36, 0 (If you’re playing European roulette) and 00 (If you’re playing American roulette.)
Here are some of the most common inside bets in roulette you’ll find:
- Straight-up bet – This bet is done simply by placing a chip on a single number.
If you place your chip on Red 36, and the white ball stops on that sector of the Roulette wheel, you win the game!
With a large sum of money on the line, this is the most difficult kind of bet to win, with only a winning payout ratio of 35 to 1.
- Split bet – A Split bet gives you the ability to bet on two adjacent numbers.
If a chip is placed in between 24 and 25, and the winning number is either of the two numbers, you win the game!
Just like the Straight-up bet, this type of bet has large stakes involved, with a winning payout ratio of 35 to 1.
- Street bet – A street bet is a type of wager wherein there are three numbers appearing on a row, and you choose to place your bet on the last row.
When you bet on the numbers 7, 8, and 9, and place a chip at the end of the row, and the winning number is either of the three, you win the game!
One of the easiest Inside Bets to win, but with a lower payout, this type of bet only has a winning payout ratio of 11 to 1.
- Five Bet – In this type of bet is where you would be placing your chances on the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3. So if the white ball lands on any of those 5 numbers, you win the game!
It’s important to note that this is a bet that is only available on American roulette with a winning payout rate of 6 to 1.
With your new-found knowledge of roulette, you can now spin the wheel, place a wager and get the chance to win massive payouts. Try your hand at our exciting roulette games now here at Casinodays!