In India, one of the most popular card games is Andar Bahar. Known for its simple gameplay and rewarding nature, this game is a popular form in Indian households, especially during special events such as diwali. With the rise of casino gaming, this game has become more accessible for players from across the world.
Are you curious to know more about this exciting game? Read this article and find out how you can rack up big wins in Andar Bahar.
What is Andar Bahar?
Andar Bahar, locally known as ‘Katti’, came from India and is beloved by its citizens due to its simple gameplay. When translated in English, Andar means left while Bahar means right.
Andar Bahar is played on a table that has three sectors. The middle one is known as the ‘Joker’, while the left side is called ‘Andar’ and the right one is called ‘Bahar’.
The game begins when the dealer places a card on the Joker sector. Then, you have to wager if a card placed on either the Andar or Bahar side will match the one on the Joker.
Basic terminology in Andar Bahar you should know
Before you start playing this game, you must familiarize yourself with the terminology that is often used throughout the game. Here are some of the terms you should know:
Joker – In a game of Andar Bahar, the Joker is the first card that’s dealt. This is the card you need to match in order to win.
Andar – Andar is the word for ‘inside’ in Hindi. This is the first side to receive a draw card.
Bahar – Bahar means ‘outside’ in Hindi. This is the next side to receive a draw card.
Range – The Range is the number of cards that are drawn before the card that matches the joker card is dealt.
Andar Bahar Gameplay
To have a clear understanding of the game, here’s a step by step guide of Andar Bahar mechanics:
- The dealer draws a Joker/Middle Card. This card is then placed in between the Andar and Bahar sectors of the table.
- Players will then have to place a bet on either the Andar or Bahar section.
- Afterwards, the dealer will draw another card and place it on the Andar side.
- If the card doesn’t match the Joker card, the dealer draws a second card and places it on the Bahar side.
- If that new card once again doesn’t match the Joker card, the dealer once again draws another card for the Andar side.
- This drawing repeats until the dealer receives a card that matches the Joker other card’s rank or value. The suit of this card isn’t important when considering a match to the Joker card.
Andar Bahar Payouts and Probabilities
Before placing a wager on Andar Bahar, it’s important to know the benefits and risks of both sides to help you make informed decisions in betting.
Andar payout – When wagering on an Andar outcome, you can expect a winning ratio of 0.9 to 1.
Andar winning probability – The likelihood of winning if you bet on Andar is 51.50%
Bahar winning payout – On the other hand, if you choose to bet on a Bahar outcome, the expected winning ratio is 1 to 1.
Bahar winning probability – The likelihood of winning if you bet on Bahar is 48.50%.
Andar Bahar Side bets
Before betting on any of these choices, it’s important to be acquainted with them first and the likelihood of you winning them. To add more thrill to your gameplay, you can wager on these Andar Bahar side bets:
The side bet is characterized by you wagering on the value of the Joker card to be drawn. Below are the respective outcomes and rewards players can get if they choose to have the Joker Prediction side bet:
- If the Joker card revealed has a value of 2 to 7, your probability of winning is 46.15%, with a winning ratio of 1:1.
- Once the Joker card shown has a value of 8, your probability of winning is 7.69%, with a payout ratio of 11:1.
- If a 9-valued card to Ace high Joker is revealed, your probability of winning is 46.15%, with a payout of 1:1.
- When your Joker card has a value of a Suite card hand (Heart, Diamond, Spade, or Club), your probability of winning is 25%, with a payout ratio of 2.8:1.
Bet on the Range
In the bet on the range, you’ll be focusing on the number of cards drawn between the joker and the matching card. Below are the outcomes and rewards you can expect once you choose this side bet.
- If the number of cards dealt is 1 to 5, the probability of success is 23.8%. If you win, you can take home a payout with a ratio of 3:1.
- When the number of cards revealed are 6 to 10, the probability of success is 21.7%. If you win, you can take home a payout ratio of 4:1.
- When the cards on the table are 11 to 15, the probability of success is 16.9%. If you win, you can take home a payout of 5:1.
- If there are 16 to 25 cards on the table, the probability of success is 21.8%. If you win, you can take home a payout ratio of 4:1.
- If there are 26 to 30 cards shown on the table, the probability of success is 6.09%. If you win, you can take home a payout of 15:1.
Tips to increase your chances of winning in Andar Bahar
Once you’ve mastered the basics of Andar Bahar, it’s time for you to learn some tips that will keep the odds in your favour. Here are some playing tips you can incorporate into your gameplay:
Bet on Andar for a better chance of winning
Due to the Andar bet having a winning probability of 51.50%, it’s a good idea to wager on this side more. Though it has a lower winning payout, it’s still the better choice because there’s a chance for you to win more often.
Use the Martingale strategy
Andar Bahar has a 50/50 win rate that makes it an ideal game to employ the Martingale strategy. In this strategy, you need to double your wagers every time you lose in order to take home more profit when you win.
For example, if you placed a bet of $7 on Andar and you lost, in the next round, you should bet $14 on Andar again. If you fail, you should place a bet of $28 on the next round. If you win that round, you will get a prize of $56.
In the previous rounds, you lost $49 ($7 + $14 + 28). Meaning, you lost $49 but gained $56 and made a profit of $7.